As noted in a previous post, when work on Foundation Fieldbus specification was completed in 1994, there were very few fieldbus products on the market and even fewer control systems that supported these devices. The Fieldbus Foundation function block team discussed the need to communicate the advantages of fieldbus to inform the industry of this technology. Thus, Tom Kinney (Foxboro), Marcos Peluso (SMAR), and I worked together to prepare and present a fieldbus tutorial at ISA1995 conference. In this tutorial, we gave an overview of the technology and installation example to a standing room only audience.
For the next seven years, Marcos – who is now with Emerson – and I continued to host a fieldbus tutorial each year at ISA. In each tutorial, we focused on a different aspect of fieldbus technology, installation, and applications. Much of the material from these tutorials is found in the following 12-Part Presentation Series. If you are unfamiliar with Foundation fieldbus, then you may find these presentations to be of help in quickly getting up-to-speed.
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 1 – Fieldbus Overview: Basic Concepts, Interoperability, Benefits from Fieldbus Installations, Availability of Fieldbus Devices
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 2 – Justifying Fieldbus: Fieldbus Savings from Physical Installation, Commissioning, Maintenance
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 3 – Example Applications: Example Application, World’s First Installation, Fieldbus Installation at ARCO
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 4 – Installation of Fieldbus: Foundation Physical Layer, Choosing Components and Layout, System Design, Field Checkout and Commissioning, Trouble Shooting a Fieldbus System
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 5 – Devices Available: Examples of Fieldbus Devices, Manufacturers
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 6 – Fieldbus Standard: Overview of IEC Fieldbus Standards, Fieldbus Foundation
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 7 – Fieldbus Communication: Foundation Communications Stack, Communication Between Devices, Expected H1 Performance, High Speed Ethernet Support
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 8 – Fieldbus Function Blocks: Standard Blocks, Block Examples
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 9 – Fieldbus Diagnostics: Introduction, Level of Diagnostics, Function Block Diagnostics, Resource Block Diagnostics, Transducer Block Diagnostics
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 10 – Fieldbus EDDL: EDDL Language, DD’s for Host, New EDDL Features, Examples
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 11 – HSE Fieldbus: High Speed Ethernet (HSE), HSE Communications Stack, Linking Devices, Physical Wiring, Flexible Function Block, Examples
- Fieldbus Tutorial Part 12 – Advanced Functionality: Process Variability, Commissioning PID